Monday, January 19, 2015

Week 16: "The Lord Will Protect You...but just in case, carry pepper spray"(:


                                                      *me, the Seyfi's daughter Suzanne and Sister DeFord

Hello everybody!(: What a week it has been. I hope you all are having a wonderful and happy January. I received two wonderful packages this week that really made me smile! So thank you Sister Call and Sister DeMordaunt for thinking of me and taking the time to do that. I love you both so much!

Okay, so this week was crazy. We literally had every investigator appointment cancel. Whether it was sickness, sports, kids, or just plain no-show's, it all fell through. Which was pretty disheartening, not going to lie. However, we decided to just make the best of it and use that time to go and find some more people who are prepared to receive the gospel.

We visited a family named the C________'s on Monday. Their kids are members of the church but are less-active, and Brother and Sister C_________ were never baptized. They did have callings at one point though and were very involved in the gospel. They are such sweet and genuine people, and we have been trying to see them for quite sometime, but Sister C_________ works night hours and our schedules never matched up. We stopped by randomly and they both happened to be home. We were able to talk with them and we have a lesson planned for tonight(: I'm so excited!

Tuesday was fun! Sister DeFord got to go to the temple since this is her last transfer, so I was in a tri-panionship with the Hermanas! Sister Benny and Sister Hansen. I know absolutely 0% Spanish, so that was an interesting experience for sure. However, I do know how to introduce myself as a missionary in Spanish now, so that's exciting. Later that night, we went and visited the Bailey's. Sister Bailey's mom just had a stroke and so she is staying with them while she recovers. It was so amazing to get to talk with them. Her mom said that while she was in the hospital (it was a Catholic hospital) she was talking to everyone about the gospel, and would always leave her Book of Mormon out for everyone to see. It was so awesome to see how excited she was about doing missionary work! Sister Bailey also shared a sweet story about her son Travis who is serving in Arizona. It helped me remember that I need to just be myself, because the Lord needs me here for who I am as an individual.

Okay, so the Seyfi's are awesome at member missionary work. They are so willing to share the gospel with others. On Wednesday, we went to lunch with them and their friend C______ from Haiti. We were able to share a message with him and invite him to read the Book of Mormon. Also! This really nice man paid for our lunch and it was so sweet. He's from another ward and is a seminary teacher. We had another lesson with C______ and their other friend named G______ on Friday. We were able to talk about how we have a modern day prophet, how the Book of Mormon and the Bible relate to one another, and the Seyfi's were able to share their testimonies. Plus, Suzanne was in town and shared how she felt about it too. We love her. It was really awesome(: After lunch on Wednesday, we had a lesson with the G_____'s daughter A_________. She is so cute and is preparing to be baptized. We taught the Plan of Salvation, and it was really adorable because when we were talking about Spirit Paradise and Spirit Prison, and how the Spirits in paradise can go and be missionaries to the people in prison, America said, "Oh! So they are going to teach them about Jesus, like how you're teaching me?". Precious. Our investigator B_________ came to mutual!! It was so much fun and she had such a good time. We are having a lesson with her this upcoming week. I'm so thankful for all the great youth in the Ute Creek Ward. I know they will play a huge part in helping B_______ come unto Christ.
 Suzanne showed us how to slide down the stairs at the Seyfi's house...here I go!!! (:
 Wow! I am really cruising now!!  haha!
Suzanne reading to Sister DeFord and I, I forgot to talk about this in my email... :)


Thursday we did service at the Atwood House. We had a lot of fun and we love J______ (the lady who runs the shelter).  We had some slightly awkward experiences this week with various men that we ran into. Which brings me to the pepper spray.

This awesome family in our ward (The Doherty's) bought us these adorable pink pepper spray bottles, which I now carry around on my bag everywhere I go(: You never know when you'll need it, plus it makes me feel better about being out on a Friday night (and I'm sure it'll make my mom feel better too!).

Saturday was a great day. We were able to see a man named D___, who is one of our potential investigators, and share a message with him. He is such a good guy, and he is already living by a lot of the principles that you can find in the gospel. He said he felt a lot of peace while he was talking with us. We are hoping that we can meet with him again soon, I know that the blessings he will find in the gospel will bring a light and a joy into his life that he is searching for(: Later, we had Sydney (this really sweet Laurel who is preparing for a mission) come out with us and we went and visited some people. We were able to visit a less-active sister named K______. The lesson we had with her was completely guided by the Spirit, and she was able to open up to us about how she feels. It was really amazing, and we are so excited to continue meeting with her and helping her find that happiness that she misses so much(:

Something we have been working on this week is leaving our dinner appointments on time. There are so many rules when you are a missionary, and sometimes you don't know exactly why they are there. But something I am learning is that obedience to everything in the gospel, big and small, brings about miraculous blessings. We all have a responsibility to keep the commandments that God has set up for us, even if we don't fully understand them. That is where trust and faith in the Lord and His plan become so crucial. He knows what we need, and He knows what will bring us the most joy(: I can honestly say that being obedient to all the commandments truly brings about the most happiness. I know that as we all strive to do what is right, we will be blessed in our own lives and the Lord will also trust us enough to provide opportunities for us to share the gospel with others.

I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week(:

Love, Sister Allen