Monday, July 6, 2015

Week 40: "Whom the Lord Loves, He Chastens" (:

                                                "Happy 4th of July from Sister Allen" (:


Hello everyone! I hope you guys had the best week ever and an awesome Fourth of July, full of fireworks and family and barbecues and fun. People are still lighting them off here (and yes, they are illegal) so even though we couldn't do our own, we see/hear them from time to time haha. Oh! By the way, remember my friends Samuel and Emily that I talked about a lot in Longmont? Well, Samuel just got his mission call to Ecuador!(: so exciting. He's going to be great.

We had so many wonderful lessons this week. Seriously. I love everyone here so much. Sometimes I'm like, I didn't know it was possible to love this person even more an I already did, but now I do. That's what is so wonderful about being a missionary. Instead of seeing people the way you normally would, you get a glimpse of how Heavenly Father sees them, and it is beautiful. Everyone is special and individual and amazing in their own way and it's so cool. 

We met with C___ and A______ twice this week. They are both working so hard to overcome challenges in their lives and be good parents for their little boy. They came to church yesterday and looked so happy! And they are getting married soon(: we are so excited for them and the huge steps they are taking to align their will with God's. The temple is one of their goals, and I know that if they keep pressing forward with faith and trust, they will get there.

B____ S__ and her family are doing so great. They are progressing together and I know that is making all the difference. They are there for one another and supporting each other. And they have the support of so many awesome members as well. It was really sweet, they took us out to dinner with their family, and afterwards we got a text saying, "Thank you for going out with us, we love you guys,". Brother H______ always tells the kids how important it is that they listen to the lessons we teach. It's the coolest. I'm so thankful for this sweet family. I'm thankful for the gospel and the chance it's given me to meet them and love them. God is so good and totally knows who we need in our lives. They are some of the people that I need in mine(:

We had an amazing lesson with Brother H_____. Brittany came with us again and it was so spiritual. He really opened up and told us he's been feeling the Spirit while he reads the Book of Mormon. This brought tears to my eyes. A man who hasn't felt that since he was 9, can now feel it as he reads God's word. It's amazing. I love the Book of Mormon. I love that it truly is written for us, in our day. I know it's true and that knowledge has blessed my life in so many ways. I'm so grateful.

We had a lesson with D_____. He is such an awesome kid. We taught part of the Plan of Salvation and he had so many good questions. I love teaching children, because it's such a good reminder to me of how truly simple the gospel is. Sometimes as people, we complicate it, but it really is beautifully simple. We invited him to be baptized when he gets an answer from the Holy Ghost, and he said yes! We are so happy for him.
                                         "Sunset on the drive to Ft. Collins for out MLC" (:
*sorry the pic is sideways!

We had an MLC this week and our interviews with President Brown, and I left both of those meetings feeling absolutely inspired. The spirit was powerful and helped me know what I need to change in order to be a better missionary and person, and to help the people that I love here. We have to be chastened in order to grow. 
One of my favorite quotes is, "I would like to speak of one particular attitude and practice we need to adopt if we are to meet our Heavenly Father’s high expectations. It is this: willingly to accept and even seek correction. Correction is vital if we would conform our lives “unto a perfect man, [that is,] unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ” (Ephesians 4:13). Paul said of divine correction or chastening, “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth” (Hebrews 12:6). Though it is often difficult to endure, truly we ought to rejoice that God considers us worth the time and trouble to correct,". This week, I sought correction, and I received it. And now I am growing(: it's hard but it's wonderful, and I'm thankful that the Lord takes the time to help me learn. I know that prayer is our way to communicate with God, who loves us and wants us to ask, to thank, and to tell Him everything about our lives. I love prayer and am grateful for the gift it is in my life.

I love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love, Sister Allen

PS: I hit my 9 month mark last week...where has the time gone?