Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Week 55: "Patience = Hope" (:


"My Best Friend" (:
Hello everyone!(: I just wanted to let you all know that I love you. I am so thankful for the people the Lord has placed in my life to help
me learn, grow, and change. Yesterday in Sunday School, we had a
lesson on being shepherds, on loving people who are lost and helping
them come unto Christ. I'm so thankful for the people who have made my
journey back to the gospel even more amazing through their loving
kindness and patience with me. Thank you, thank you, thank you (: 


This week has been amazing. It was Sister Martin's birthday, and on
Monday, the Tilley's, Fife's, and Ungricht's set up a surprise
birthday party/dinner for her. We coordinated it and came to the
church and we all got to surprise her! It was so fun. The next day was
her actual birthday and I was able to surprise her with a few of her
favorite things (sticky notes, highlighters, and videos of our awesome
Sisters singing her happy birthday). It was great. I love Sister
Martin so much and I am so sad that this is my last week with her, but
I know that we will always be best friends(:

"Sister Martin's party....she is really happy!" (:
We got our third companion on Wednesday! Her name is Sister Tahere and
she is from New Zealand, so she and Sister Martin have lots to talk
about. It's really fun, they've taught me how to sing/say some things
in Maori. It's definitely an adjustment having three of us, especially
since we all do certain things differently, but it's a growing
experience and it's wonderful. 

 We had interviews with President Brown this week. Something that
really stuck out to me that he said was, "Being diligent is very
important, but being patient with yourself and with the Lord is even
more important,". I felt the Spirit very strongly as he gave me
counsel and as he said the closing prayer. I love my mission president
and his wife, and I know that they love me too. I'm thankful for all
that they do for me. 

 Sister Tahere and I went on exchanges with Sister Thompson in
Wheatland. It was so awesome! Sister Thompson is amazing and I learned
so much from her. I can honestly say I love her. It's been so fun to
be here to see her be trained, and now she's training. And she's doing
such a good job. I know that the callings we receive, whether it's
during the mission or after, are inspired by the Lord. They are meant
to grow us and stretch us, but that just means we become better and
more Christ-like people. If it doesn't challenge you in some way, it
doesn't change you. 

 Okay, so, lots of miracles. Here are just a few. Last week, I felt
prompted to invite Elizabeth to read Alma 32 after our lesson and
think about what it means to have faith. We went back on Saturday
night and she hadn't read it yet, so we asked if we could read it with
her. We did and the Spirit was powerful as we discussed the chapter.
Then, we invited her to come to church. She said, "You know what...I
just need to do it, I'll be there tomorrow!". And she was!!!(: the
coolest part? All the talks were on Alma 32 and faith. She had re-read
the chapter that morning too. Such a huge blessing directly for her
from Heavenly Father. I was talking with her afterwards and she said
she felt so happy and good and that she loved it. So awesome. I love
Elizabeth so much. 

 We went and tried to contact people one day, and we walked past a
house. I really felt like we should go knock on the door, so we turned
around and when we did, a man stepped outside. Turns out, he's the
uncle of one of the people in our Ward. He's been to church before and
he told us that us showing up at his door was probably a sign that he
needed to come to church. He was there yesterday! We also stopped and
talked to these two ladies named Nicole and Jessica. We were able to
share a message of the Book of Mormon. Jessica had some questions
about things she's heard about Joseph Smith, and normally it's
something that I wouldn't really know how to answer. But the spirit
totally took over and I don't even remember everything I said. I just
know I talked about modern day revelation and prophets and she was
like, "Well there's my answer! Thank you,". Sister Martin and Sister
Tahere were able to answer some of Nicole's questions too. We left
them with a prayer and it was really amazing.

Me and the awesome Sister Martin! (:
I've been thinking a lot and studying a lot about patience this week
since my interview. There is a scripture in Romans 5 that I love. "3:
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that
tribulation worketh patience; 4: And patience, experience; and
experience, hope: 5: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of
God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto
us." I read that the other day and it helped me realize that patience
is hope, and hope is faith. So if I grow my patience, I grow my hope
and faith. And ultimately that means that I deepen my conversion. So
I'm striving for more patience and trust in myself and the Lord, and I
can't wait to see what happens as a result.

 I love you all. Have an amazing week!

 Love, Sister Allen (: